Looking for previous content from "Artful Living on the Bluff"? It's still available! Find Vol. 1 at artfullivingonthebluff1.blogspot.com

10/25/2016

The recent past...

In a past life I was an internationally recognized bead embroidery artist. Really, I was! It sounds weird to say that but it actually is true. Search "Cindy Caraway" on Google or Pinterest and you will see LOTS of photos my past work. 

In 2013, when arthritis in my neck affected my right arm, sending shooting pain from the shoulder and down into the hand, and made holding tiny beading needles too painful, I simply quit creating. Luckily, a friend who owns a small, independent book store hired me and I worked a couple days a week while going to physical therapy and trying to get a handle on managing the pain.

What brought me back to creating despite the pain was missing the joy of creating something one-stitch-at-a-time. Making ornate beaded jewelry is no longer something easily done so I started exploring other ways to incorporate fiber, fabric, found objects and beads (of course!) into work that I found satisfying. The needles I use are now larger and no longer is all of my work completely by hand: a trusty sewing machine does come in handy as does glue. I have been exploring different techniques and materials finding that I enjoy soft sculpture and weaving. I have dabbled in assemblage and miniatures but am a little worried about the sheer amount of "stuff" required. We'll have to see about that... In the end, I was able to make a few items for a small, local group exhibit and I was pleased with the results - I even made a couple sales!

Here are just a few photos of what I've been up to lately...

Creating...
 
Organizing....

Relaxing...

Exhibiting...

and Mushroom hunting! (I love mushroom hunting...)

No comments: